SOUL SHORT RIBS WITH GRAVY & WHITE CHEDDAR GRITS
● 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
● 4 pounds beef short-ribs, cut into individual ribs
● 4 cups beef stock
● Salt and freshly ground black pepper
● 1 pint - pearl onions
● 1 cup - bleached all-purpose flour
● 1 cup peeled baby carrots or 1 cup sliced on the diagonal
● ½ cup olive oil
● 1 cup baby turnips or 1 cup sliced turnips
● ½ cup bourbon whiskey
● 1½ pounds small new potatoes
● 3 tablespoons mashed garlic
● ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
● 3 bay leaves
● 2 tablespoons horse radish
1. In a mixing bowl, season the short-ribs with salt and pepper. Toss with flour and mix well.
2. In a large dutch oven, add ½ cup of oil. Add ½ batch of the meat a time and brown them. Remove and add the second batch. After 3 or 4 minutes, take the beef ribs out and set aside.
Add ½ cup bourbon to deglaze pan. Add beef stock, add garlic, bay leaves, thyme and a teaspoon black pepper. Add short ribs back to the pan with the stock and simmer for 2 hours.
3. In a mixing bowl, add pearl onions, baby carrots peeled, baby turnips new potatoes quartered and season with salt and pepper. Add vegetables to stew and cook for ½ hour. Stir in ¼ cup finely chopped parsley. Then stir in the 2 tTablespoon(s) of horseradish. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed. Keep warm until ready to serve with the grits.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE GRITS: SERVES 6
● 2½ cups - milk
● ½ Teaspoon(s) kosher salt
● ½ cup - quick cooking white grits
● 2 tablespoons heavy cream
● ½ cup grated white cheddar cheese
DIRECTIONS FOR THE GRITS:
1. Bring the milk, seasoned with salt, to a boil in a medium size saucepan over medium heat. Add the
remaining butter. While stirring, slowly add the grits, breaking up any lumps.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the grits are tender and slightly thick, 15 to 20
3. Add the heavy cream and the ½ cup of the cheese, stirring until the cheese is completely melted.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy !